School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, January 8-10, 2021
中国 北京 清华大学公共管理学院
The application window is now closed. Workshop participation is by invitation only.
Call for Application
The International Association for China Planning and the School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, will host the first Academic Writing Workshop for Junior Urban Scholars on January 8-10, 2021, in Beijing, China.
We seek to improve written scholarship among junior scholars of urban planning and related fields in mainland China. The workshop will include whole-group seminar sessions on academic writing, publication, and career development strategies, as well as intensive small-group discussion sessions on participants’ own manuscripts led by senior international scholars.
Who Can Apply?
The workshop is intended for junior urban scholars who focus on urban planning and governance in China. We welcome applications from untenured assistant or associate professors, and post-doctoral research fellows, who are currently employed in departments/institutes of urban planning, urban geography, public policy with specialty in urban affairs, and similar fields. Doctoral candidates who expect to graduate by the summer of 2020 may also apply, but the applications need to include a supporting letter from their Ph.D. advisors.
We plan to invite 40 participants based on the quality of the application. Priority will be given to junior urban scholars who
- Currently work or study in a mainland Chinese university or research institute,
- Received their doctoral degrees within three years before June 2020, and
- Maintain active IACP membership status as of February 2020.
When and How to Apply?
Applications are due January 15, 2020. Please submit to IACPwriting@outlook.com electronically in Word or pdf files. The email subject line and the application file name need to be labeled with “Last Name-First Name-IACPworkshop-2020”. The application checklist is provided below:
- Cover letter on research interests and scholarly goals (ONE page)
- Application form (download)
- Abstract (500-700 words): Please include the title of the paper; author(s); key words (3-6 words); research question(s), theoretical framework, key literature that will be addressed, hypothesis and methodology (if applicable), principal data sources, expected/preliminary findings, and contributions to the field.
- Current curriculum vitae
- A recommendation letter from the dissertation advisor [REQUIRED for doctoral candidates; other applicants may also submit a recommendation letter either from their department chair or supervisor.]
Please combine all documents (except the recommendation letter), into ONE file (in WORD format) and submit to IACPwriting@outlook.com electronically.
All documents, except the recommendation letter, should be written in English ONLY. The recommendation letter can be a separate document, but must be included in the same email with the application file. The file name for the recommendation letter should be labeled with “Last Name-First Name-recommendation”.
We will notify successful applicants by February 15, 2019 and provide detailed information about the workshop at that time.
Selected participants must submit an article-length paper, about 25-30 double-spaced pages, by April 05, 2020. The paper will go through a mock peer review process by 2-3 referees. The reviews and feedback from faculty and other workshop participants will help form the basis for small-group discussions during the workshop.
Fees and Costs
The workshop will charge NO application fee. However, each accepted participant will need to register and pay a nominal registration fee (200 US dollars) via Paypal to the IACP account by March 05, 2020. The registration fee is non-refundable. If the payment is not received by March 05, 2020, the participant’s name will be removed from the program and replaced by other applicants on the waiting list.
Participants are responsible for travel to/from Beijing, and cover their own local accommodations. The workshop organizers will provide coffee breaks, lunches, and an evening social event.
Pay for registration:
Click the button below to pay through Paypal
- January 15, 2020: Application (with Paper Abstract) Due
- February 15, 2020: Acceptance Announcement
- March 05, 2020: Registration Fee Payment by Accepted Applicants
- April 05, 2020: Full Manuscript Submission Due
- June 10, 2020: Feedbacks on Full Manuscripts from Mock Review Process
- January 8-10, 2021: Workshop
The working language for the workshop is English.
Please direct questions on the workshop program and paper requirement to IACPwriting@outlook.com.
Who are the experts?
Yingling FAN, Professor, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota.
- North-American Editor, Urban Studies; Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Transportation and Land Use.
Ann FORSYTH, Ruth and Frank Stanton Professor of Urban Planning, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University.
- Editor, Journal of the American Planning Association (JAPA).
Cathy Yang LIU, Professor and Chair, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Managing Editor, Journal of Urban Affairs; Associate Editor, Economic Development Quarterly.
Kathe NEWMAN, Associate Professor, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, Rutgers University.
- Associate Editor, Environment and Planning A.
Haifeng QIAN, Associate Professor, School of Urban & Regional Planning, University of Iowa.
- Editor, Small Business Economics; Associate Editor, Economic Development Quarterly
Tom SANCHEZ, Professor, Urban Affairs and Planning, School of Public and International Affairs, Virginia Tech.
- Editor, Housing Policy Debate.
Michael SMART, Associate Professor, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, Rutgers University
- Co-Editor, Journal of Planning Education and Research (JPER)
Weiping WU, Professor, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, Columbia University.
- Former Editor, Journal of Planning Education and Research (JPER); Former President, Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP).