Chinese students and faculty interested in conducting Chinese urban planning or comparative urban research abroad can take advantage of a number of web-based networks and foreign China planning research centers.
Web-based portals to international networks of scholars interested in urban planning in China include The China Planning Network (CPN) based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the Urban China Research International Network (UCRIN) at Cardiff University in Wales, The China-NRW (North Rhine-Westphalia) University Alliance in Germany, the Urban China Research Network (UCRN) supported by SUNY-Albany’s Mumford Center and the Center for Social and Demographic Analysis, The Delft University Higher Education Link project with China.
Some non-Chinese-based universities have established research centers with a particular focus on urban planning and research in China (or Southeast Asia including China). These include:
- The Asian and China Research Program in the Great Cities Institute at the University of Illinois, Chicago
- The China Urban Study Centre at Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales UK
- The Scottish Centre for Chinese Urban and Environmental Studies (SCCUES) at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland
- The Institute for Asian Research at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- The China Network NRW (North Rhine-Westphalia) is an open initiative supported by the universities of North Rhein-Westphalia for the networking of Chinese academic activities. The University of Cologne is the coordinator. Participating universities include Bielefeld University, Dortmund University of Technology , and the Universities of Cologne, Münster, Paderborn, Siegen, and Wuppertal.
- The Lincoln Land Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts provides funding for scholars to conduct empirical research on urban planning, land use, and related issues. The Lincoln Land Institute China Research Program is located at Peking University.
China Research Centers/Fund:
Other China Research Centers: